Sunday, June 8, 2008

Friday May 23rd 2008 - 1 Day Post-RP

This diary extract outlines my radical retropubic prostatectomy from a fly-on-the-wall perspective. It will not be to everyones taste. The idea is that other men faced with Prostate Cancer may find it helpful in considering their own options. If you find the contents distasteful or undesirable, I'm sorry for your troubles!
***********************************************************************************
Slept OK, woke up twice - when nurse was checking SATS. My left buttock is numb. I reckon I must have been lying awkwardly on bone/pressure point.

Abdomen is a bit tender but OK. Surgeon came round at 8am and said he was happy with my progress. Said i should be getting mobile today and that I should be doing my leg and breathing exercises hourly.

I was allowed three (half) slices of toast & marmalade, along with two cups of tea, at 08:30 - it was lovely. Celebrity TV chef Jamie Oliver couldn't have done it better!! Going for a bath this morning - looking forward to a good wash. 08.50 bath cancelled for today but will get to go tomorrow. Today will be just a wash in the local (ward) bathroom.

Had wash & shave in the bathroom but got very "weezy" afterwards, pouring with sweat, but OK though. I was going to sit out for 30 min, but I was too sweaty and light headed, so got back into bed.

10:30
Physio called. She wants me to get out of bed later, after coffee (They come round with tea/coffee & cake/biscuits every couple of hours). I have some heaviness in my left leg, particularly calf area. She reckons its due to my lack of activity and that it will clear with exercise. She wants me to keep my back straight. I've been getting 2 balls up during the respiratory exercises, but she wants 3.

BP 106/66, Pulse 56

There is a new guy in the ward (there are 4 beds here - I didn't want a private ward - my sister-in-law died in a private ward, 20 years ago, having had a seizure and not being found for 20 mins+. Ireckon that there is safety in numbers!) Turns out the new chap is a brother of a leading runner in Cork. Small world!

12:45
A called by around 10:30 and stayed till 11:30, when she went for coffee. D, A & B came in around 11:35 and stayed till 12:10.
Maybe I got too animated/excited, but I felt weak/woozy while eating more toast/tea at 12:40, so stopped and lay down for a rest. The drain in abdomen was leaking slightly, and nurses reinforced it. They want Surgeon to check it later. Now sucking 3 balls, in sets of 5.

D & A back at 14:00
Morphine drip was taken off round the same time. The mediacal people reckoned in was causing my "wooziness". Very slight leak from the drain - taped up some more.

15:00
Went for a walk full length of the corridoor, overall about 150m, and then sat out for a while. The place is very, very warm. I've been allowed these peppermint flavoured lollipops, to moisten mouth. Belching a lot. Got back into bed around 16:45, but I reckon I stayed out too long - ended up feeling weak, hot and a little nauseous - felt very like post-marathon. Got back into new bed. I've now gor one of these motorised units - feel like a "boy-racer"

18:00
Tea & toast, with coffee at 17:30. Got anal analgesic (instead of morphine) at 17:30

17:45
Surgeon called. Seemed very pleased. He reckons we both had a very good day. he said that there was very little blood loss.

I sent a group text to friends around 20:00 and got amny immediate replies - very emotionally received. JD sent some of the Ballyandreen results. I reckon, if I'd run badly, I'd have been 2nd M55 - just my luck!

20:00
Drain leaked again, but OK. Went for my second walk. Feeling much. much better - no nausea and feeling strong. Leaked from back passage as I was about to get into bed. I sat down in loo and left a mega fart - laughed at it! My bum felt sore afterwards. The (little) fluid that leaked was clear. I felt like peeing as I was sitting down - like I was having a normal sit-down. I leaked from front also - around catherer/penis.

Everyone I've met here has been very pleasant. Staff all work hard and seem to have a good rapport. all the patients are equally caring - not a lemon among them. Rapport & comfort among sufferers?

No comments: