Sunday, June 22, 2008

Tues 3rd June - 12 Days Post-RP

This diary extract outlines my radical retropubic prostatectomy from a fly-on-the-wall perspective. It will not be to everyones taste. The idea is that other men faced with Prostate Cancer may find it helpful in considering their own options. If you find the contents distasteful or undesirable, I'm sorry for your troubles!
***********************************************************************************
Another warm night, woke several times. Finallly woke at 07.00, feeling refreshed. Slept with the tube attached to my leg. It had been pulling on the leg tie and I want to preserve that longer. I've been trying to source another of these velcro "butterfly" plasters for holding the tube to the leg, but haven't been able to find a supplier. They all suggest getting another from the hospital - great, seeing that the hospital is 170 miles away! Anyway sleeping with the catether just attached to the point of entry didn't appear to cause a problem.

Crapped again first thing - no problem. Visited my doctor at 10:30. Because of the redness spots around the clips, the doc just removed every second clip and prescribed an anti-biotic powder, Cicatrin, to be applied to the "wound" three times daily.

Only walked up and down the street today, about 25 min. in total. Also walked in the garden several times and later dozed in the recliner for about a half hour.

I didn't feel as "filled with energy" today, but felt better overall. The wound area felt quite itchy about the time I was preparing for bed.

No comments: