Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mon May 26th - 4 Days Post-RP

This diary extract outlines my radical retropubic prostatectomy from a fly-on-the-wall perspective. It will not be to everyones taste. The idea is that other men faced with Prostate Cancer may find it helpful in considering their own options. If you find the contents distasteful or undesirable, I'm sorry for your troubles!
Went for a walk. Felt very good at the start, but I think my body is only now realising its had a "whammy".

Slept from 06:00 till 07:30. Missed saying goodbye to Cara, who has now finished her shift rotation and is off for a week. Felt much better after the sleep.

Walked again around 08;00 and again around 10:00. Went for, a shower on my own, around 10:30. It was great. My groin, in particular, had been quite smelly.

I went for a further walk at 11:00. Now doing a "T" - the full extent of this floor - then rested on the bed till 12:00

Saw Surgeon at 12:15. I was walking when he came by. He said he was very pleased. He reiterated that I shouldn't worry, as it delays the healing process. "You can't speed up healing, but you can delay it". He wants to take out the drain today. He asked me about the w/e cover surgeon. I said that he was a very nice man. He replied that he was lucky to have him. I told him that it was I that was lucky to have both of them - and all the staff - top to bottom! He said "Thanks! That's nice to hear!"

Ate lunch - same as past two days. I'll be allowed full dinner, tea and breakfast from now on.

Drain removed. It was a bit uncomfortable, but OK. walked again at 14:30 - 1 lap, but leaked from drain wound.

Leaked again later and the wound was retaped. D came in and almost immediately BM, a former clubmate of mine at my previous club, Leevale, came in and stayed for 5 to 10 min. It was great to see someone going out of their way to see me. I was a bit emotional, as she was so good to make the effort - and bring some running mags as well. A came by at 16:00. She & D went for a coffee at 16:45, so I went for a walk - T lap, and then got into bed.

Aw called at 17:30 and stayed about 45 min. I then slept for about an hour, after which D, A & C called. C gave me a Liverpool FC No 9 jersey, with "Quigley" on it. Following that, my cousin F called and stayed for 15 min. I walked again afterwards. The room was very, very warm afterwards.

Finally went to sleep at 10:15. I had been feeling a bit "heady. Dehydrated?

No comments: