Monday, June 16, 2008

Thurs May 29th - 7 Days Post -RP

This diary extract outlines my radical retropubic prostatectomy from a fly-on-the-wall perspective. It will not be to everyones taste. The idea is that other men faced with Prostate Cancer may find it helpful in considering their own options. If you find the contents distasteful or undesirable, I'm sorry for your troubles!
***********************************************************************************
06:00
Got up and showered. Changed into going home clothes. Raring to go!

Surgeon came in at 08:20 and said that I should take aspirin nti-clotting when I go home. Over the counter stuff will do. Got my bags (night & leg) for home and had the id and allergy tags removed.

Said my goodbyes and left hospital at 09.45. B and r shared driving and I went in the front passenger seat. We stopped three times en-route on the 170 mile journey, to eat and also to walk. I'd been advised to walk every hour during the journey. The trip was uncomfortable but OK. We had a pillow that i leant against and managed to doze for a while - roughly half an hour. I had a mars bar at the final stop and it gave me a great sugar boost. I had to empty the bag three times en-route.

Its great to be home and in my own bed. Maybe now my arse will recover! Its so much more comfortable than a hospital bed.

Stayed up till 22:30 watching soccer - Ireland 1 - 0 Colombia. I was sitting on the couch - not a good idea - its too deep/soft.

Sleepping in my own bed was great. I managed to sleep till 05:30. Unfortunately D had to move to one of the spare bedrooms, due to my snoring, but she came back in at 06:00

No comments: