Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sunday May 25th 2008 - 3 Days Post-RP

This diary extract outlines my radical retropubic prostatectomy from a fly-on-the-wall perspective. It will not be to everyones taste. The idea is that other men faced with Prostate Cancer may find it helpful in considering their own options. If you find the contents distasteful or undesirable, I'm sorry for your troubles!
Slept fairly well. Woke up around 01:00, when one of the other patients had a loud, bad turn. I woke again around 04:00 and finally at 05:15, however I felt very rested. I went for a walk at 06:15. I just did "1 lap", felt like going for 2, but strength left me when I was just about back at the room. Building Rome!

Nurses here are all very nice and caring. One in particular is appropriately named - Cara (prounounced Karah). Cara (pronounced cor-a) is Irish (Gaelic) for friend!

Just back from my second walk. Feeling OK. I wore my glasses this time. I find I can hear better with my glasses on! Probably something to do with using the other senses at the same time as listening.

Been feeling hungry for a while now. I feel an order of magnitude better today but must beware of overconfidence.

Washed & shaved at 07:30 and got in my third walk afterwards - still feeling good. Ate around 08:50; special K, brown bread and marmalade. Washed my hair at 09:10, by bending slightly over the side of the bath and holding the hand-held shower head. went for fourth walk of the day afterwards. Feeling good.

To date, I've stayed in the hospital gown. I find it more comfortable and cooler. I must wear these anti-clotting long leg socks. I feel quite warm as a result, so pyjamas, even if I could wear them, would probably be quite stifling. It's also easier to get round with the gown and access to the cathether and drain is easier. When walking around I carry the cathether bag in the wire stand but I put the drain bag in my dressing gown pocket.

I saw the w/e surgeon at 11:00. He asked a few questions about my back. He reckons I'm looking a lot better, even since yesterday.

I went for my fifth walk at 11:45. finding it hard to stay in bed.

Lunch: Chicken, boiled spuds, jelly souffle & water. I don't like tea, but coffee was causing me to belch a lot, so I've stopped taking it - drinking more water instead. Went for another walk at 13:30. Catering staff offered me a biscuit, which I gratefully accepted - I may eat it later.

D, A, B & m-i-law all came by & all looking good. Got back into bed around 16:00, after a further walk (7th of day).

Tea: chicken salad, brown bread & marmalade. Spoke to B & Aa around 17:30. Train strike in Cork is supposedly "over" - I hope to return home to Cork by Train before the week-end.

Passed stool (first since operation) - no problem - slid out as gently as a metro train coing into a station! I got some bleeding from the tip of the penis afterwards. Nurse used "Instilligel" and gauze to numb it. Dripped some blood onto one of my socks and the floor.

Both canulars removed this evening and plasters put on the spots.

Stayed in bed afterwards. Took two sleeping tablets at 20:50 and slept till 03:00. Couldn't get back to sleep again, so dozed & listened to MP3 player until 05:45

No comments: