Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fri 6th June - 15 Days Post-RP

This diary extract outlines my radical retropubic prostatectomy from a fly-on-the-wall perspective. It will not be to everyones taste. The idea is that other men faced with Prostate Cancer may find it helpful in considering their own options. If you find the contents distasteful or undesirable, I'm sorry for your troubles!
***********************************************************************************
Went to bed around 22:30, but woke at 23:50 with a very strong pain in my left hip - I had been lying on my left-hand side. I woke again at 00:50 with muscular pain on the right-hand side. It was impossible to find a comfortable position. I'd describe the hip pain as "cold, deep and flat" Flat as not sharp but covering an area. We rang the ward in the hospital in Dublin and I was advised to take two Paracetamol and if it got worse to see my GP in the morning and also to contact the surgeon in the morning. They also said that if it got worse or the Paracetamol didn't work, to go to A&E at my local hospital.

I took the Paracetamol and they kicked in around 20-30 min later. Managed to relax and sleep until 06:30. Everyting appears Ok, but will have a word with the doctor anyway.

Got up at 08:45. Bowel movement OK. Saw doctor at 10:00 and he removed the remaining clips. The last one was difficult - like the last wheel-nut or screw when your working at something! He prescribed Cataflam for the hip problem, to counter inflammation. I only walked in the garden today, as d was very, very tired. She slept very little last night, watching over me for most of the night. Went to bed at 23:00

No comments: